Favorite Things

There are a few things I am LOVING right now.

I love to watch Max with his little sisters. And when I do, I feel like never in a million years could there be a better big brother.
I love my bike.

A couple years ago I inherited it from my sister. My other sister (who was coming to my house for a visit) and I strapped it on top of my suburban with rope going every which way, and had a long, adventurous drive with all our kids trying to get it home. High winds, two stops at different gas stations to buy more rope and to make sure it was fastened down enough that it wouldn't fly into cars behind us on the freeway, etc. made our drive a little crazy.

But it was TOTALLY worth it, even though Dave told us on our arrival we looked exactly like Beverly Hill Billies with all that rope spider-webbing the top of the car.

I'm telling you, going on bike rides is one of the best things to do with kids as far as I'm concerned. We all head out together in a little pack around the neighborhood and while we ride close together we've had some of the best talks. Claire and Lu take turns on the seat on the back and they love it too.
Another favorite is my double jogger.

The weather has been so awesome and we have been loving going on long runs/walks to visit the local horses and to feed the ducks. Man oh man I love that thing because it carries two of the things I adore the most and we get to be together while the others are at school.

I love getting notes from my kids:I love our Mother/Daughter book club. Elle and I hosted last week and we stayed up 'til 11:00 the night before making food and getting things ready. Every minute we had together over the last few weeks Elle's been trying to get me to figure out games, activities and questions for the big day. We read "The Tale of Despereaux"...a definite favorite book to read with kids. So many good themes in there.I love that these three girls are now total "partners in crime" and they pal around like nobody's business. Claire can get Lu laughing SO hard.I love to watch Dave teach Max things. They work so hard out in the yard every Saturday.I love how much Lucy adores her stuffed kitty cat.
I love(d) Elle's cooking class (it just ended, gosh darn it). She went to a neighbor's house each week and came back with the most delicious meals for our family. She's gained so much cooking knowledge in that class, but most of all she's learned to LOVE cooking which is priceless.

Activity Days Daddy Daughter Date

And I love that I get to be in Activity Days with her now.

And my last favorite for this week is Max's cookies. He found this recipe on the back of the flour package and made it a while back and it's been our favorite ever since. I have been a connoisseur of chocolate chip cookies since I was his age, so believe me, I know a good one when I see it. Here's the recipe:

3 cubes butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs. vanilla
4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
lots of chocolate chips

The recipe says bake at 375 for 11-13 minutes, but we do two pans at once and put the oven on convection at 325. On convection you only bake them for 8 minutes. Go try them...you won't be sorry!

Labels: , , ,