battle of the wills

I find it so interesting how Lucy can seem to get across exactly what she wants even when she can't say much. Things like how she has to listen to Scripture Scouts every time we go anywhere in the car (she adores that dog in it). Or how she hates to take off her jammies...she would wear them all day every day if I'd let her. Or how she won't let me put my hands on the front of the cart at Costco or the grocery store...I have to pull the cart around to where we need to go rather than pushing it.

In other words...she's got a strong will. Wait, have I said that before? I know all two-year-olds do, but in my book Lu takes the cake.

Anyway, Dave and I are trying to be super on-top-of-things with Lucy's therapy. We want to do everything we can to help her progress at this stage where she seems to be picking up on things like a sponge. SO, I asked the physical therapist to give us some "homework" assignments to specifically work on as a family.

Top thing on the list:
Don't carry her everywhere.

I reminded her: this is Lucy we're talking about. She 1) doesn't come on command, and 2) she isn't a direction follower. I find myself carrying her everywhere because if I let her walk it takes 25 minutes to walk to the car in a parking lot or to maneuver her upstairs to take a nap. And I'm always hurrying (any mother of a two-year-old can relate, right?).

She told me in a very mater-of-fact way: "Just slow down."

Well, I don't know that she understands how hard that's gonna be, but I do know she sure has a point. It's time to get that girl walking...all the time.

So, I just thought I'd share some pictures from our first day of the being-tough, stick-to-my-guns making-her-walk day:So far, I'm thinking this isn't going to be a piece of cake.This was her fourth pavement-hugging style tantrum of the day, and this particular one had about five rounds before I gave up, lugged her up onto my hip in pure frustration, and headed in to watch the tail end of Gracie's tennis class I had been really looking forward to finally getting a chance to watch.
Tally in the "battle of the wills" so far:
Lucy: 14
Shawni: 0

Labels: ,