April Fools

Honestly, I get the biggest kick out of April Fool's Day. I LOVE it. And I have a plastic spider and my boy Max to thank for that.

The past couple years I've put a plastic spider in Max's bowl of cereal in the morning when he wasn't paying attention. And man did I ever get him good. I can't explain how my heart pumps in anticipation to see the expression on his face when he scoops it up, is about to take the bite, and then freaks out when he sees what's on his spoon.

He is one heck of a great sport. After his initial shock, he laughs right along with us and thinks it's pretty funny.

But this year he wasn't about to be duped again.

No way.

He was ready.

He announced to us all that he was going to make pancakes because he knew exactly what was coming if we had cereal. He had it all planned out. He was in control.

...Until he turned his back for a split second and I slipped the spider between his pancakes.

I could literally hear my heart pumping as I waited and tried to talk all nonchalantly to he and the girls at breakfast. From the corner of my eye I saw him take a bite...saw the spider legs sticking out between the pancakes.

I waited.

More casual talk about who was going to bring lunch and who was going to buy. Another bite. Still no noticing. Heart still pumping. Then came the confused "what's this between my pancakes?" look. And then, bingo.

I got him again.

Oh Max, thanks for making my April Fool's so fun.

I better get prepared for when some day, out of the blue, you get me back. And I'm sure it'll be more than a little plastic spider. I better watch my back.

Labels: