making a house a home

And as long as I'm linking things from sisters, I've been wanting to post this link for a while. It's something my THIRD amazing sister wrote about the house we grew up in.

Reading this post makes me so incredibly grateful for what my parents did to make that house a home. It was not a fancy home by any means, but it was a home that we all felt secure in. A home that meant a lot to each of us.

That's what I've been trying to do around here...make our house a HOME. Something that is sacred for our little family. Some day this month the finishing touches will be done on our "sprucing up" project and I'll post the before and after pictures. We haven't really done that much, just put a lot of agonizing thought into it. (I say "we" liberally...Dave hasn't agonized much about the decisions, just about the speed of my decision-making...which is somewhere on the spectrum between molasses and full-stop.)

Anyway, what is it that makes a house a home? I'm just thankful my parents figured it out as evidenced in this post. And I ask myself, am I doing what I can to make my future children feel as attached and in love with their home as my sister does?

Labels: