Easter traditions

post edit note: THANK YOU so much for all the wonderful Easter ideas. I'll be hard at work trying to figure out what to incorporate. And yes, the crib is now gone. I'm glad someone could use it and I wish I had a bunch more (because that would mean I had a bunch more babies that had filled them :)

Since my "focus" for this month is spirituality, it seems quite fitting that Easter will help me wrap it up (and general conference too).

As you are probably well aware, I love traditions. Adore them. And sure, we have a bundle of them for Easter. Probably our favorite is that when the kids wake up on Easter morning they each find a string the Easter Bunny has left at the end of their beds. They follow their string through a serious maze through the house which leads them to their Easter basket. Although pictures can't really show the whole deal, this was last year:Boy howdy do they ever love this stuff. We also get down to serious business when we paint our eggs. We don't just die them. We get out our little paintbrushes and go to town making them beautiful. It's one of my favorite things I get to do with my kids.
But we have been lacking in the spiritual tradition category. And that's really too bad because that should be the biggest part of our Easter traditions.

We do always have a Family Home Evening lesson around Easter where each child gets to pick out a symbol to talk about from a basket (soap, white cloth, a rock, a mini crown of thorns, an empty egg, etc.). This helps.

And this year we have decided to use this week's family scripture study go through Jesus' last week through His death and resurrection. And we're going to try making those "Easter cookies" on Saturday night (full of symbols...I'll post the recipe later if anyone's interested).

But, in trying to figure out how to bring more of the spirit into Easter I figured some people out there must have great ideas. If so, please send them my way!

Love, Shawni

p.s. This is a totally different topic but does anyone local want Lucy's crib? Although it's a little used it still works great and it's cute and white. You can have the bumper pads and dust ruffle and all that too. If you want it, it's yours...just let me know.

Labels: ,