business trip: TOFW

I took a little "business trip" last weekend.

First of all, have I ever mentioned how thankful I am for opportunities like this? Yes, I think I have...over and over.

I felt so humbled and grateful to get to speak at the Spokane Time Out for Women last Saturday. And to do it with my dear Mother.

I felt like that was the best Mother's Day gift ever. Not only to get to be there with my Mom, but to feel the strength of thousands of women, and to gather all kinds of new ideas to implement into my life. A refresher course to gauge where I am and where I need to be.

It was powerful.

Sure, it was also a little humbling/scary/intimidating. I mean, look at this venue and imagine it filled to the brim with 2,200 women (yes, I'm totally dead serious with that number): ...and then picture me up there on the stage with my crooked mouth trying to mumble out motherhood "secrets."

But you know what? I felt surprisingly calm and peaceful up there. I can't describe it, but the love in that humongous room was strengthening.

And so was my Mom at my side imparting her infinite wisdom.
Check out these wonderful ladies who made the whole event possible:
(The event producers Laurel Christensen and Chrislyn Woolston are on the left on either side of my mom and me, then Mariama Kallon, Wendy Ulrich, the wonderful Mercy River trio, and Emily Freeman.)

And that's not including the ones who spoke/performed the night before, including Jenny Oaks Baker who knocked my socks off once again.

These women are each so amazing in their own, unique way. And I got to very humbly stand at their side.

I wish I had a picture of the other ladies who made it possible: the ones who attended the event. We got to meet a whole slew of them and man alive, there are so many outstanding mothers/women out there. I am so surprised at how many mothers have children with issues similar to Lucy's. And how many of them have been through trials beyond measure. And they are still persevering with hope and faith. They are strong. So many wonderful examples seeping into my brain to uplift and inspire me.

On to the nature beauty (as opposed to the beauty of those women)...because I love the sky (and to fly through it). It was so gorgeous when we were about to board the plane to come home. I wish my little travel camera could really do it justice:

Of course, I couldn't go on a trip without documenting through my airplane window. Some day I'll haul my good camera around for these shots (and I'll figure out a way to get a clear piece of glass in there instead of those scratched up fuzzy ones in airplanes), but for now, this is what I've got:Spokane is SOOOO green and gorgeous. (A little different from the desert.)

Salt Lake City was gloomy and gray.

The clouds above everything were as soft as velvet.

And home sprawled out before me as my heart raced back to my family I missed so much.

Labels: , ,