speaking of being in training...

...check out Dave's poor toes:


If that's what it takes to run a marathon I'm out.

(Well, really I'm out since I can't run to my neighbor's house a couple blocks away without keeling over gasping for breath, but the black toes aren't calling my name to change that wimpy factor.)

Did you know that when you train for a marathon in the desert you have to get up as early as 3:00a.m. to beat the heat? I'm very serious about that. It's sometimes still 95 degrees even that early, which is HOT to run 20 miles in (I can claim that even if I've never done it). But according to "the runners" the heat is endurable until the sun comes up and starts to bake you alive.

Dave is usually more of a 4:30a.m. runner (seriously he is so lazy ;)), and when he's out there he's shooting the wink and the gun-finger to practically our whole neighborhood. Yes, a whole slew of them seem to be that nuts about running. And I think they're awesome for it.

Dave has overcome his cracked rib and a broken eardrum (from a water skiing accident this summer), and is still working on figuring out some mysterious, serious pain in his foot.

And he's still running.

Now that's dedication. (Or is it just plain crazy??)

Anyway, I'm proud of him...black toes and all.

Labels: