on how I like to be tucked BEHIND the one in charge...

A couple months ago Dave, Elle and I were having a discussion.

Elle was telling us her plans of running for Vice President for the following school year.

"Why not run for president?" we both asked.

Elle replied, "No way, I don't want to be the one in charge!"

Dave gave me a little wink at this news because he and I have an ongoing joke about how much Elle and I seem to have the same brain.

In school I never would have dreamed of running for president...of anything. It's just not my thing.

I'm pleased as punch to do whatever people want me to do, but I have never aspired to be the one making the decisions. I'm horrible at delegating. I'm a wishy-washy decision maker. And I prefer to be comfortably tucked behind the person in charge.

A few weeks after this little enlightening conversation we attended this event. As I observed all the amazing preparation and detail that went into that evening I thought to myself that I better never, ever get called to be the Young Women president. You know why? Because those leaders have more creativity and composure among those girls than I could dream of having in my pinky finger.

So after that you can guess what happened, right? Yep, I got released from my stake calling and was promptly asked to serve as the Young Women's president.

Talk about humbling. Especially when the last YW president was pretty much born to do that calling. She has been incredible with the girls, and has impacted their lives for good in countless ways that will change them forever.

And now here I am.

Trying to figure out which way is up.

I keep thinking of that line in "The Incredibles" where Elastigirl is freaking out and that outfit-maker lady (Edna) grabs her by her shirt and says "You've got to pull yourself together!!" And Elastigirl does.

And then she helps save the world.

Now if only I could turn into Elastigirl so I could balance and expand to all the needs to be met.

Despite all the craziness I keep reminding myself of this: God is in the details.

And I have two great things on my side:

1) I have been able to get amazing counselors and other advisors in place over the last week which has helped me start to breathe again.

2) As I have prayed for these girls this pure love for them has spread through my heart. They have put me in awe numerous times already. The Laurels (16-17 year olds) came to visit me on Sunday night with their glowing smiles and so much encouragement. The cute presidency invited me to meet them at the temple the other night:My jaw dropped as I listened to them talk about their love of the other girls and life in general. Man alive, at that age I was probably sitting moping about my own issues. These girls are strong. They are good. And they have already taught me countless things in a handful of days.

I've learned things like that we now have to answer our phone...and we need to actually listen to messages when we miss calls. I've learned I may as well get one of those headphone speaker thingies because my phone has been permanently attached to my ear since Sunday. And keeping up on e-mails? I better give up on that for a while.

But most of all, I have learned that God's hand is stretched out, and he'll help me take care of His girls. And my family. And my friends I love so much but never get a chance to talk to. And all the other minutia that fills up the nooks and crannies in my life. I'm not sure quite how yet, but I have to remember to take one step at a time...and to delegate...and to accept help from above as well as from others.

My left eyelid has begun to twitch uncontrollably. Is that a bad sign?...

Labels: