valentines stuff

I love Valentine's Day.

Have I mentioned that before?

This year Grace and I opted for the home-made variety of Valentines for her class (I didn't realize 'til too late that she needed them).
Lucy was pleased as punch with her princess ones, and Claire was over the moon about her "airhead" ones. I mean, what could get better than a heart with a chunk of taffy stuck to it to celebrate your love for your classmates?

We had our traditional valentine's breakfast:Lucy was just fine with her cup being filled with raisins instead of candy:

Then I got to spend practically the whole day at the school.
It made my day to watch these two go into school together. I love them.
I spent the afternoon trying to peacefully convince Lucy that rice cakes were better than candy.

It didn't go over well.
I did successfully toss all of that one kind of candy that is pure-sugar-you-dip-that-white-stick-in-and-lick-off-that-I-can't-remember-the-name-of.

I'm not a fan of that stuff or the trace of sugar it leaves across the house.

Whichever person in the candy business who made us all think that we MUST eat three tons of candy on Valentine's Day has got to be rolling in the money.

That night we played a game of "love whispers" I made up on a whim (just like "Chinese whispers" but each person sends around a "whisper" of what they love about someone else in the family and you see if the message can make it around the whole circle). Silly game, but love spilled out of each child and made us all warm and fuzzy.

Then I stole Dave away to have our own little Valentine's dinner. We went to our favorite hole-in-the-wall Thai food place and talked long and deep.

It was a good day. I'm so thankful for my valentines.