10

Yesterday Grace crossed over into the "double-digits."She turned ten.

It didn't really astound me that she went ahead and did it, because in my mind it seems like she's been ten for a long time. She just "gets" life. And she's pretty mature about it (most of the time).

Boy we love this girl.

We had a wing-dinger of a celebration the last couple days in honor of the big day.

It all began with the big cake-bake. We really like to make cakes around here. This year she chose a tie-dye cake.
Her little sister and friend were big helpers.We frosted it all white so the colors would be a surprise at the party the next day.

It was an "on" year for a birthday party for her so the lucky girl got to have her beloved birthday party at the place where she takes gymnastics.
She's headed to the Olympics for sure :)
The foam pit was a hit.

She REALLY wanted that wish to come true.We cut into the cake and everyone oooo'ed and ahhhhhh'ed about the tie-dye inside.
Oh wait, maybe that was just me and Grace.

We were pretty excited about it though. Let's take a better look:
There we go.

The next day (Sunday) was the real day.
We had bright green (food-colored) chocolate-chip pancakes for breakfast and opened presents.Dave had the idea to take this picture of her:
...and then show it to her to surprise her about what was behind her...her new bike (very badly needed).

I wish I had had the video camera on to capture her squeal.

I don't know how the candy bar poster has become a tradition but I guess it has...

But Grace's REAL birthday tradition is having a pinata. For the last three years we have made it ourselves.(Do you like that posed picture above?)
She started adding tissue paper to make flowers but gave up after just one.

I don't blame her. We were all ready to pop that thing open.


These kids took the task quite seriously.
Elle almost got it:But in the end it was Max who did the trick:We had a great time playing Grace's new game: "Hedbanz"

And what birthday could be complete without having all the cousins over to celebrate with us?
With one more cake...
Oh and one more game of Hedbanz.
...with Uncle Josh.
Yes, the day was well-celebrated.

And it triggered a family discussion that maybe we'll stretch birthday parties out even more in the future :)

We are SO grateful to have Grace as part of our family.

Ten reasons why we adore her SO much:

1) She has the best sense of humor. We went out to lunch the other day and as we were talking about her upcoming party I asked her if she wanted to invite any boys. Her response in mock seriousness with a twinkle in her eye was, "Mom, I don't think I want to see a boy in a leotard! It would ruin my gymnastics career!"

2) She's the best middle child we could ask for. She is vocal enough to never be left out.

3) She is a good friend. She is always worried about not leaving people out and she is loyal as can be.

4) She is so dang determined. When she gets something in her mind she cannot get it out until it is accomplished (hmmmm...sounds like someone else I know...).

5) She is a kind sister. She is completely doting on her little sisters and respectful of Max and Elle.

6) She is an amazing babysitter.

7) She's probably my best picture-poser. Man I love her for that!

8) She's smart as a whip.

9) She helps keep me organized. When we have things coming up that she's worried I'll forget she is like a broken-record reminding me.

10) She has this twinkle in her eye when she smiles that can light up a whole room.
Love you with all my heart, Grace!

Labels: