my nightstand

When I mentioned in my "summer goals" post last week that sometimes I bite off more than I can chew it's because things like this nightstand exist in my life. I put one book on top of another and tell myself "I must read that right away!" And then it sits there getting dusty.

It's a symbol of my life. I have great intentions. I stack up so many "books" of what I think we can do and then I get frustrated that it would be impossible to follow through with all those things. Just as I can't read all those books in one night, I can't start a new family tradition every week. We simply can't travel the whole world in one summer no matter how much I dream of it. As much as I want to develop the greatest relationships with every one of my children it won't happen in one day. I have to take baby steps.

I hope that I do not make is seem like we are just a well-oiled machine over here where children march to do exactly what I ask and it is all rainbows and butterflies. We have all sorts of kinks. But we are working on it. Little by little.

And we are enjoying the journey along the way as much as possible.

...As long as Lucy isn't crying... :)

There are some good books in there I hope I get to this summer! But I need to remind myself I don't need to read them all at once.

Labels: